Sunday, November 27

I floo!

I did it ... after several years of 'saying' I was going to do it, today I actually managed it: I flew a plane. Me!

We went to the Hull Aero Club, somewhere near Beverley, and I had a one hour flying lesson. Apparently I did quite well ... which I suppose means I didn't barf or scream during takeoff.

DSC_1424.JPG

The experience was not quite what I had expected. The planes are a lot smaller than I expected, and they're so light they get thrown around quite easily up there. The view was amazing, when I got chance to actually look at it. We flew out to Bridlington and over the sea before turning around and flying over the Humber Bridge.

I was expecting the session to be a case of me sitting back until the pilot got the plane up to about 2000ft and level ... ah. No. I had to do the whole lot! He had me taxi to the runway ... (the runway: it's that field ... made of grass ... very rural!) ... then he had me takeoff ... ascend ... the fly the plane around all over the place ... play with the radio and locators ... then descend an hour later and land. I hate landings, but was surprised when I brought this hunk of metal crashing into the field how light it was.

All in all, a fun day. Thanks to my girlfriend and sister who got me the lesson as a gift. :o)

I've uploaded the photos to Flickr if you fancy a peek.

No comments: