Monday, October 8

BBC Bitesize want me ...

... well, actually, they want one of my photographs.

I know its a bit of a minor event when you consider the context, and how many photos they'll be using, but still ... it's nice to be asked ;o)

Here's a snippet from the email I got:

My name is Dave Percy and I am a Researcher at GCSE Bitesize at the BBC. GCSE Bitesize is a revision website used by 16 year olds revising for their GCSE examinations in the United Kingdom.

www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize

We are making a Flash picture slideshow to accompany poetry audio for students to revise GCSE English. We would very much like to include your picture, ‘Passing Clouds', which can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olitee/127211251/

to accompany the poem ‘Sonnet' by John Clare which can be found here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/poetryclare/1clare_sonnetsubjectrev2.shtml

Your picture would accompany audio of the line:

'I love to see the summer beaming forth
And white wool sack clouds sailing to the north'


So there you go ... :o)

2 comments:

Phil said...

I had one of my photos of Clifton Suspension Bridge used for an online city guide a couple of months back... same deal - they emailed and said they'd seen the photo on Flickr and they wanted to use it. It was on there for a few weeks, but it's now been replaced with a different one - I guess they must keep swapping them around. I am a bit concerned that this is going to cause pro photographers some consternation though... Will people pay for professional images when they can effectively get free ones off Flickr that are only marginally worse? As in the case of both you and I, the "flattery" of being asked is bound to get people to agree to sign over every last right they had to their images and not see a penny for it. Ho hum.

Unknown said...

True Phil - 'Microstocking' is apparently the term, and yes, FLICKR's an ideal place to cream off from the starstruck, I've several contacts who've been approached and dished out their work free of charge. Some big American company contacted me offering £70 for this one for a 'Presentation, I contacted my agent @ SSPL who told me not to touch the contract with a barge pole as it would have left me totally liable for any misuse of the image by them..! As if, and you don't really want to upset Coca-Cola, I'd wager they have better lawyers than me, as it goes when I declined they then got really pushy and quite shirty, said they needed the contract returning the same afternoon as they needed to get the body of work to their client, the cheek..! They'd already used it, more reason not to let them have it, I got sick of replying after a few e-mails so just set up ( another ) trash filter.

Nobody's going to make much money from stock anymore, well, apart from maybe Paul Thompson - he's got 3000 shots on Alamy, and rising...!