Tuesday, September 12

Apple iTV Media Hub

FINALLY! I've been holding back for almost a year now, convinced that Apple must have something in the works that can open up my media library in my living room ... and today they did just that.

I have gotten very close to buying a full blown Mac Mini to allow me to play my music and videos on my TV and HiFi, but I was loathed to spend that much money on a device that was capable of so much more ... and then just play music through it. A few years ago I bought an Apple Airport Express, which allows me to 'send' my music from a Mac or PC to my HiFi. It's been fun, but it's not practical - and since you have to trek downstairs every time you want to change tracks - it doesn't really let you enjoy your music.

So along come Apple today with the announcment of the 'iTV'. A media adapter, for want of a better phrase. It's basically a cut down mac that's sole aim in life is to play music, videos and photos - in HD - on my lovely LCD TV. Although it's not available until Q1 next year, it looks like it may only cost about £170.

So many new things to think about in the space of a single presentation. I tip my hat - that floppy white one I got on holiday - to Apple.

Right ... I'd better start saving!

:o)

No comments: