Friday, August 25

Slooooooooow Broadband

Loading...
This is really getting annoying. I moved over to BT Broadband at the beginning of August with the hope of getting better download speeds that I had with my existing ISP.

My line was upgraded to ADSLMax, which is very flakey for the first week as it 'settles' down to the optimum speed. Everything looked promising at first, with downloads peaking at around 2Mbit/sec ... but about a week ago the speed dropped a wee bit. In fact, it dropped a helluva lot. If you look at that graphic carefully you'll spot that my download speed is actually lower than the upload. This test reports an average speed of about 124kbps ... but US sites are averaging about 50-60kbps. Wow! I'm paying £26/month for dial-up speeds!

Thankfully, BT in their ultimate wisdom state that the speed is 'below the contractural threshold', and they will perform a number of test to try and fix it.

May not be doing much blogging until then! TTFN.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Bro' is with Force9, lives in the sticks up in North Yorkshire and gets 7.5MB from his 8MB pipe.....I'm with NTL on a 4MB ( ha ha ) deal which hardly ever gets above 1.5MB. Home Users have no idea they're paying for something which they aren't actually getting - after all if you bought a new sportscar with a listed top speed of 100MPH you'd be quite annoyed if it wouldn't go over 30-40MPH.......I'm wondering what Q.O.S ( if any ) agreements are in place for home connections? - none I'll wager, just some dodgy *small print* more than likely.

RB